Wilson Personal Injury Lawyers Getting Clients Compensation
We work to get clients reimbursement for the injuries they suffered
Accidents and injuries can happen to anyone. People are often left with huge medical bills that they can barely afford. Others lose income from missed work. However, an accident that is the result of someone else’s negligence entitles the victim to compensation for their injuries.
If you have been injured in an accident and need compensation, Thomas Law, Attorneys in Wilson, North Carolina, can help you get back to normal. Our personal injury attorneys work with clients so that they can overcome their injuries.
A firm that covers all areas of personal injury law
Our firm provides legal assistance to anyone injured in an accident in North Carolina. Someone who is hurt as the result of another person’s intentional actions, such as assault or battery, is also entitled to compensation. Our practice areas include:
- Car and truck accidents — Car and truck accidents often result in major injuries that need long-term medical care. If you have been injured in a car accident, speak with one of our injury lawyers as soon as possible to discover your legal options.
- Motorcycle accidents — Motorcycle riders get hurt more often than drivers of larger vehicles. If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, you may need compensation for medical costs and rehabilitation.
- Wrongful death — The family of someone who dies as a result of an accident or the intentional acts of another person is entitled to compensation. An action for wrongful death allows a victim’s estate to recover compensation for the heirs.
- Workers’ Compensation — If you have been injured at your workplace, you may be eligible for Workers’ Compensation benefits that provide valuable support for your medical treatment and loss of income.
How do you prove someone else is liable for your accident?
To receive compensation after an accident, you must prove that another person’s actions were negligent and caused the accident. You must also prove you suffered damages. Negligence occurs when someone does not use the ordinary due care that a reasonable person would use in that same situation. If you can prove that their injury is the result of another person’s actions, you are entitled to compensation.
Typical negligence cases include:
- Slips and falls
- Defective products
- Accidents on someone else’s property
- Unsafe workplace conditions
- Failure to correct dangerous conditions
How are damages apportioned in North Carolina?
The purpose of damages is to make a person “whole” and restore them to the condition they were in before the accident. It is not to reward a person, but to give them the reimbursement they need for the costs of their injuries. An award of damages can be granted for:
- Medical bills
- Permanent disabilities
- Loss of future job opportunities
- Loss of income from missed work
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive purposes
Punitive damages are a rare exception that a judge may issue to punish a defendant for wrongful actions.
What is contributory negligence?
Contributory negligence is a doctrine that prevents an individual who has been hurt in an accident in North Carolina from recovering damages if he or she were at all responsible. It does not matter that the other person was mostly to blame for the accident. Any mistake that contributed to the mishap prevents an injured party from receiving compensation. This is an important distinction between North Carolina and other states. Most jurisdictions allow a hurt party to recover damages unless they were mostly at fault for an accident.
Contact us to learn more about personal injury at our office in Wilson, NC
Thomas Law, Attorneys focuses on personal injury law in Wilson, North Carolina and the surrounding communities. Our personal injury lawyers are dedicated to helping clients recover from their accidents. If you have questions about if you qualify for damages, one of our lawyers can answer them. Contact us at 252-360-1379 or online to schedule an appointment today.
Se habla español.
“I greatly appreciate the care given to me by Thomas Law when I have needed an attorney. They have looked out for me, and exceed my expectations each time. I want to also thank them for their tremendous presence in our community. Thomas Law support makes many things come together in Wilson.”
-Patty H., 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Google
“Not only A TOP law firm who cares for clients + employees, but also a TOP community supporter of schools, sports, etc.”
-Tex B., 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Facebook
“Tartt Thomas, is the best, its refreshing to see a person work when they are at the top of their game, and Tartt Thomas is definitely, there! I was told he was the best attorney in Wilson, and I agree. If you have a legal issue in Wilson NC he is the best.”
-Tim W., 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Facebook
“Thomas Law can get it done no matter the situation…they are top notch lawyers that will definitely get you want you want if you let them.”
-Chad F., 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Facebook